Holy Trinity Cathedral - Jerusalem
The Holy Trinity Cathedral was built as the center of the Russian Compound with funds donated by the people of Czarist Russia. Construction began in 1860, the magnificent edifice was consecrated in 1872. The whole surface of its interior main hall and dome and two aisles is painted an inspiring celestial blue with salmon accents and numerous depictions of saints. The church has four octagonal bell towers. Over the years the bright green domes made this one of Jerusalem’s most distinctive churches.
Russian Mission Building "Duhovnia" The long building lies south of the cathedral towards the new city hall. Built in 1863 as a hospice it also hosted the offices of the ecclesiastical mission of the Russian patriarchate, named "Duhovnia". It’s a courtyard structure with a church in the center. The building has housed all of Jerusalem’s courts, including the Israeli Supreme Court until 1992. The building is now used only for lower law courts and the peace court. The Russian Mission has still an office in the back, but the center is now on the Mount of Olives, directly eastward of the Compound.
Southern Gate Between the mission and the hospital on Safra square. The gate was built in 1890 as part of the perimeter wall of the Russian Compound. It was moved from its original location about 50 meters south of where it now stands as part of the Safra Square Project and the new City hall.
Hospital Safra square 13
Russian Consulate On Shivtei Yisra’el street behind the municipality complex. It was erected in stages since 1860 for the Russian consulate, and combines European characteristics with local building techniques. From 1953-1973 it housed the school of pharmacy, later laboratories of the Hebrew university.
Elisabeth Courtyard - Hostel for Men A courtyard structure built in 1864 as a hostel able to accommodate about 300 pilgrims is located on today's Monbaz street. Above the neo-classical entrance is an inscription marking it as "Elisbeth Courtyard" and the emblem of the Imperial Russian Orthodox Palestine Society. It houses now the police headquarters.
'Northern Gate Right opposite to the Sergei building. Around the Compound was a perimeter wall with two formal gates at north and south, built in 1890. Only one of the two Northern gate houses has survived. The other was pulled down in the 1970s. On the fa?ade is the emblem of the "Imperial Russian Orthodox Palestine Society".
Marianskya Courtyard - Hostel for Women 1 Misheol Hagvurah Street. The hostel for Russian women pilgrims was built 1864 in neo-classical style. At the front of the building one can see the Russian inscription "Marianskya women's hostel" and the symbol of the "Imperial Russian Orthodox Palestine Society" above the entrance. With long hallways leading to separate rooms, it was an ideal layout for a hostel, or a prison, which is exactly what the British turned the place into during the British mandate period. In each cell, one prisoner was made supervisor over the others, and given an actual bed. Over the course of the British occupation, hundreds of prisoners, both simple criminals and political, passed through its gates. Jews and Arabs were incarcerated together. Executions for capital crimes were commonplace, but only for Arabs. While the facility housed many death-row inmates captured from the Jewish underground organizations, Jews sentenced to death were sent to Acco for the actual executions. The British, fearful of the Jewish reaction to executions in the holy city, never used the gallows of the prison for Jews. Prisoners from the Jewish underground organizations were often put to work making coffins and gravestones for the very same British policemen and soldiers they had killed in combat. As the guards used to tell them, "What you start on the outside, you finish on the inside." The building houses now the Underground Prisoner's Museum. The wire fence, bars and inscription "Central Prison Jerusalem" on the door are from the British Mandatory period.
Sergei Building Corner of Heleni HaMalka and Monbaz street. Courtyard structure with a Renaissance style imperial tower, named for Grand Duke Sergei (1857-1905), brother of csar Alexander III, then President of the Provoslavic Palestine Association. Completed in 1890 by architect Frank Gia it was built for pilgrims from the nobility as "Sergej Imperial Hospice". It occupied nine acres of land, and was made entirely out of hewn stone, its 25 luxuriously furnished rooms intended as lodgings for aristocrats. It was referred to as "one of the most marvellous buildings in the city" by the newspapers. Since the British mandate period it has been used for offices, first by the British administration as the public works department and passport offices, where the British denied Jews the certificates they desperately needed for immigration to Palestine. The Sergei building is one of the houses in Jerusalem most famous for its beauty, and captured Vladimir Putin’s heart during his last visit to Israel.
News about The Russian Compound in Jerusalem
Israel Cabinet ministers approved on May 10 2008 the transfer of property rights over the Sergei Compound in Jerusalem, part of the property known as the Russian Compound.
Nikolai Courtyard - Pilgrims Hostel In 1903 another hostel for Russian pilgrims, the Nikolai Pilgrims Hostel, was built which was large enough to hold 1,200 guests. Since the British mandate period part of it has been used as police headquarters and as government offices. Later it was the British intelligence headquarters, blown off twice by the Jewish underground under Menachem Begin in 1945.
Monolithic column In front of the police headquarters on Shne’eor Chesnin street in a hollow in the ground. Colossal monolithic column dating from late second temple period, discovered in 1871. In ancient times there was a quarry here, and a relic of it is still to be seen in the form of that column fully 12m/40ft long which broke while it was being quarried and was left in situ, still embedded in the natural rock. The column was presumably destined either for the colonnades of the Herodian Temple or - as a number of capitals found here suggest - for a building of the Theodosian period (second half of fourth century).
The Russian Compound in Jerusalem (hebrew - Migrash HaRusim) is one of the oldest districts in central Jerusalem, including a large Russian Orthodox church and several former pilgrim hostels which are used as government buildings and for the Museum of Underground Prisoners. The compound covers 68 dunams (68,000 m²) between Jaffa Road , Shivtei Israel Street, and The Prophets Street.
Russian Compound Jerusalem Description
From Bar Kochba Square in Jerusalem a street goes off on the right into the Russian Compound, with the green-domed Russian Orthodox Cathedral. This part of the city grew up around 1860 as a large walled complex for the accommodation of the Russian pilgrims who came to Jerusalem in considerable numbers, particularly at Easter. On the northeast side of the complex were the Russian consulate and a hospice for women; to the southwest were a hospital, the mission house, with apartments for the archimandrite, the priests and well-to-do pilgrims, and, beyond the Cathedral, a large hospice for men.
The buildings are now occupied by various government institutions (police headquarters, law courts, etc.)
As you walk along Jaffa Road from Zion Square, look up to your left (north), before the main post office, and you'll see the Russian Orthodox Cathedral. In ancient times there was a quarry here, and a relic of it is still to be seen in the form of a column fully 12m/40ft long which broke while it was being quarried and was left in situ, still embedded in the natural rock; it can be seen in a hollow in the ground opposite the entrance to the Cathedral. The column was presumably destined either for the colonnades of the Herodian Temple or - as a number of capitals found here suggest - for a building of the Theodosian period (second half of fourth century).
The Holy Trinity Church in the Russian Compound.
Russian Compound in Jerusalem
Searches related to: Russian Compound Jerusalem
Russian Orthodox Church Jerusalem
|Browse our free encyclopedia by alphabet:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Join the Club for more information about Russian Compound Jerusalem Log In
JERUSALEMPEDIA.All Rights Reserved.
|The biggest Jerusalem content encyclopedia on the Internet. Jerusalempedia.com is a site that offers a full range of terms related to Jerusalem.
Our Mission is to create the most comprehensive and definitive source of information available on Jerusalem anywhere. We are in the process of compiling the world's most comprehensive source of inter-related encyclopedic information sources covering every subject of Jerusalem to our visitors.