Porat Yosef - Sephardic yeshiva rebuilt upon the ruins of the yeshiva which was destroyed in 1948 by the Jordanians. Joseph Shalom, of Calcutta, bought the building intending to have it used for a hospital. However, the Ben Ish Hai of Baghdad persuaded him to endow a yeshiva instead. The cornerstone was laid in 1914, but the First World War delayed its construction. The yeshiva was finally inaugurated in 1923 and consisted of a large bet medrash (study hall), two other smaller halls where married men studied, plus fifty other rooms including dormitories, offices and a library.
The biggest Jerusalem content encyclopedia on the Internet. Jerusalempedia is a site that offers a full range of terms related to jerusalem.
PORAT YOSEF YESHIVA
In 5698, after completing talmud Torah, 12-year-old Yehuda Tzadka enrolled in the Porat Yosef Yeshiva in the Old City.
Porat Yosef was founded more than 80 years ago to preserve Sephardi Jewry by producing outstanding Sephardic Torah scholars who would perpetuate Torah and Torah study. Reb Yosef Avraham Shalom, a philanthropist from Calcutta, played a major role in the founding of the yeshiva. Reb Avraham Shalom had originally wanted to found a hospital in Eretz Yisroel. When he wrote the Ben Ish Chai about his plans, he received the following response: �Found a yeshiva, not a hospital. True, it is important to build a hospital in Yerushalayim. However, many people will be eager to grab that mitzva, while very few appreciate the value of Torah study.� Reb Avraham Shalom heeded the Ben Ish Chai�s advice, and contributed a vast sum of money for the founding of the Porat Yosef Yeshiva.